Tuesday, April 27, 2010

name evolution.

i think i've decided how to schedule my blogs:
  • "telling tuesday" where i will share a funny/informational tid bit about myself
  • "therapeutic thursday" where i will share something i love/find relaxing/etc.
  • then maybe sundays share what has happened the previous week/what i have coming up the next week. or just random posts... but for sure the tuesday thursday posts will happen!

so hooray for my first telling tuesday!

picture this:

second grade. music class. we're learning about syllables by saying our name and clapping with each corresponding syllable. it's going smoothly down the row: holly (two claps) nikole (two claps) heather (two claps) chelsey (two claps)... then it's my turn. i say my name and clap twice, making my name ba lair. this is when the teacher says, "oh no, honey. your name is ONE syllable: blair (one clap)".

DEVASTATION

i hated my name for years because of that day, and never told anyone of my trauma. in high school, i told my friends and family about this story. my mom felt guilty, i'm pretty sure meredith made fun of me, and my friends were shocked and reassured me that due to its single syllable, my name was really fun to say. this is where the evolution of my name took place, ranging from a drawn out bllaaaaaaaaaiiiiiirrrrrrrrr (think dory speaking whale in finding nemo) to blur.

the meaning of blair: in irish, the name blair means field or plain and also has celtic, scottish, english, and gaelic origins

i have grown to love my name, and all of its eccentric forms, and think it adds to my personality rather nicely.

-blur.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not gonna lie, I am almost crying from laughing so hard here in my cube at work. I completely forgot about this! Poor sister...I'm pretty sure I did make fun of you for it. I'm sorry. Mom should feel guilty for giving us what were once considered off the wall names. Hey, remember all the grief we got over our last name or where we lived? Geez, how are we not in therapy??

    ReplyDelete